Thursday, March 9, 2017

Early Birds - The Buzzard Chronicles



I should have posted this earlier but got ahead of myself scheduling entries. We actually saw our first turkey vultures before February even ended. On March third I stepped out my front door to check the mailbox and saw a flock so large they startled me, nearly blacking out the blue. There may have been five hundred in perhaps a square quarter mile of sky.

Unfortunately they dispersed in the time it took me to run inside and find my camera. Snapping away, I photographed the last westward flying birds.

At Lower Center, Two are Crossing at Different Altitudes

A Kettle, So-Named After Bubbles in Boiling Water

The Sun Sinking Over Neighboring Roofs

For the fun of it, here is an old photo from June of 2013. Unfortunately our neighbors had to cut down this great, dying tree.

Soaking in the Sunrise
Hinkley, eat your heart out. We Southwester Ohioans deserve a Buzzard Day.

-

10 comments:

  1. I love vultures. I love all of the birds of prey, too. Awesome! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do deserve a buzzard day. They've returned here also, in search of the dead to dine upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are nature's janitors, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Wow. That must have been a sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. I need to carry my camera everywhere (I can't justify buying a smart phone and my cheap Tracphone lacks a camera). Thanks for the faithful visits! I must read what you're up to today. Be well.

      Delete
    2. Is the collective noun really a kettle of turkey vultures? That's so awesome.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by, Drusilla. It's always nice to 'hear' from you. Vultures actually have several names. 'Kettle' refers to their collective flight pattern. Even neater is how a roosting group is called a 'wake' due to how they look like old fashioned mourners in dark clothing, heads lowered. Personally, I think a group in flight should be called a 'tornado'. ~grin~ I hope you are well!

      Delete
  4. Turkey buzzards, only a face a mom could love! lol....yet on the ground they make great subjects to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I would like to see your buzzard photos. I'll bet they are amazing. Be well!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!